In 1904, the mining magnate Sir Edmund Davis built Landsdowne House for six struggling artist. Close to Holland Park Tube Station, the eight-story Arts and Crafts building had six studios, a squash court, smoking room, thermal bath and courtyard. The artist who lived there including Glyn Philpot, are commemorated with a blue plaque.
Part of the building was converted into a recording studio (built on the squash court) and offices in 1957. More than 300 platinum records were produced here, by artists such as Shirley Bassey, Rod Stewart and Elton John – as well as the Sex Pistols’ Anarchy in the UK.